EMU, in cooperation with the Korean Ministry of Education TaLK program, offer EMU students the unique opportunity to spend a semester/year in South Korea. Dr. Koh of EMU's College of Education will teach the preparatory classes for this program and provide online support and coursework during your stay in South Korea.
- The admitted participants will take a preparation course in teaching culturally and linguistically diverse students, prepare lesson plans, and learn about Korean culture.
- Teach English in elementary school in rural area of Korea for three hours a day in after-school program subsidized by the Korean Ministry of Education.
- Explore Korea.
- The fall semester requires a one-year commitment to this program. You will be registered for International Teaching (6 credits) in the first semester and International Teaching II (6 credits) in the second semester.
The teaching majors will have 3-5 weeks student teaching waived, or, you can do student teaching in Korea after 10 weeks of Michigan student teaching.
- No Korean Language skill needed.
- Students must be accepted into the program.
- Must maintain program course registration for 6 UG credit hours each semester for two semesters..
- Each semester program fee: $800 includes CMI insurance at no additional cost to you. For more on the policy see the health and safety pages on the main Academic Programs Abroad website.
- Must be a junior status: students must have two years of university education (a minimum of 47 credit hours).
Financial Benefits (You'll be paid!)
- Monthly Stipend (About $1,300–1,500)
- Housing (One-room studio style, furnished)
- Round-Trip Airfare
- Health Insurance including EMU's CMI premium policy
- One-time Settlement Fee
Students will be registered in SPGN 401International Teaching I (6) and SPGN 402 International Teaching II (6) for 12 credit hours for the year. EMU financial aid is applicable to this program.
Students who can commit to only one semester apply for Winter, however, a one-year commitment will have priority in admission.
Per-capita GDP: $ 32100
Size: 99720 km2
Time Zone: (GMT + 09:00 hours) Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo
US State Department
Travel Warning: NO
Country Specific Info.